IGEL Thin Clients
ICERM provides thin clients in all 10th floor offices as well as in the common areas for visitor use. The thin clients run a custom thin version of Linux and provide open access to a web browser, SSH terminal and printing capability.
The IGEL Linux Desktop
This is the standard desktop screen you will see when you start using one of the IGEL thin clients at ICERM. This guide provides a brief overview to each button on the desktop and their usage.
- USB Drive - If you connect a USB mass storage/flash device, you can click on this folder icon to launch the file browser and see the files on your drive.
Oscar VNC - Opens the VNC client for connecting to CCV's Oscar cluster.
** Note: Oscar VNC is not available on the 11th floor public thin clients.
Terminal - Terminal opens a standard SSH shell which can be used to connect to remote servers. The terminal prompt requires a login. The username is
userand the password is
- Cube - This icon opens the Firefox browser directly to ICERM's application and profile management system Cube.
- Browser - Opens a standard Firefox web browser.
- ICERM IT Help Guides - This icon opens the Firefox browser directly to this help guide.
In addition to the file browser, USB storage drives can also be accessed via the terminal (for SSH/SCP file transfer, etc). After launching a Terminal session, enter
cd /userhome/media/to navigate to the USB drive's mountpoint.
- Please do not store any files on the thin clients themselves. Since they are thin clients, hard drive space is limited, and any files saved on there would be accessable to anybody who uses that specific thin client terminal.
If you have questions about these instructions or require further assistance, please contact the ICERM IT staff by dropping by the administrative offices or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.