Wireless Access with a Linux Laptop
The Brown secure wireless network may not work correctly with Ubuntu and some other Linux distributions out of the box. These issues are caused by an SSL certificate verification failure.
First, try to connect using the XpressConnect client from wifi.brown.edu. If your computer fails to connect using XpressConnect, then the Brown network must be manually configured in NetworkManager using the following settings:
- Wireless Network Name (SSID): Brown
- Security Type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption Type: AES (CCMP)
- EAP Method: PEAP
- Phase 2 (Inner Method): EAP-MSCHAPV2
- Root CA Certificate(s): AddTrust_External_Root.crt
- User Certificate: N/A
- Anonymous Identity (Outer Identity): [Leave blank]
- Username (Identity): [Your Brown Username]
- Password: [Your Password]
Using the AddTrust_External_root.crt is the necessary change from the XpressConnect configuration to overcome the SSL verification problem. It should be located in one of the following directories:
If you have questions about these instructions or require further assistance, please contact the ICERM IT staff by dropping by the administrative offices or emailing email@example.com.