Emergency & Security Information
- Dial "4111" in an emergency if using an ICERM/Brown University phone. This number should be used in any emergency for the quickest response from police, fire department, or an ambulance. For assistance with urgent, but non-emergency, problems call Brown's Police & Security at "3-3322".
- Non-Emergency Care: Before coming to ICERM, it is a good idea to let your medical insurance company know you'll be in Providence. They should be able to provide a list of approved medical doctors who will accept your insurance. Alternately, if you aren't feeling well and need to see a doctor for non-emergency care, the closest urgent care clinic is:
- East Side Urgent Care
1195 N Main Street
Providence, RI 02908
- Note: It is about a $10 cab ride. You may have to pay up-front, but can likely get reimbursed from your own insurance company.
- Emergency Care: if possible, check with your medical insurance to determine which hospital to go to. There are several hospitals within 5 miles of ICERM's building. The list below represents several choices:
Hospital Address, Phone Number, and Home Page Rhode Island Hospital 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 444-4000
The Miriam Hospital 164 Summit Avenue, Providence, RI 02906
Phone: (401) 793-2500
Roger Williams Medical Center 825 Chalkstone Avenue, Providence, RI 02908
Phone: (401) 456-2000
Women & Infants Hospital 101 Dudkey Street, Providence, RI 02905
Phone: (401) 274-1100
Hasbro Children's Hospital 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903
- ICERM's business hours are 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m Monday-Friday during the academic year, and 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday during the summer. If you are participating in an ICERM program as a long-term visitor you will receive a Brown ID card. You may also receive an office key as space permits. Please return these items to the ICERM front desk before you leave.
- Access Policy
- Due to the open environment of ICERM and problems with theft in any city or campus, we ask that you please honor our policies regarding access to the building and ICERM in general: Please do not let others into ICERM space after hours or loan your ID card or office keys to anyone. Do not prop the stairwell doors open. Please honor any requests from the building's lobby security to sign-in or show ID.
- Security Reminder
- When you are not in your office, please keep your office door locked for safe keeping of your personal items and ICERM equipment. No one is immune to security problems and we appreciate your assistance. If you see someone in the ICERM office space, lounge, etc, whom you believe is not associated with ICERM please inform the staff in the main office immediately so we can investigate it.
- When outside of ICERM, please be aware of your surroundings and the people around you at all times. Trusting your instincts will help minimize your risk of becoming the victim of a crime.
- If at all possible, do not walk alone at night.
- When on campus, familiarize yourself with the locations of our blue light Emergency phones.
- Report any suspicious activity by calling DPS at (401) 863-4111.
Building Maintenance Issues
- If you see a problem with facilities maintenance, or if general supplies need to be replinsihed, please contact an ICERM staff member.
- Getting Around Brown's Campus
- The Brown University campus is remarkably walkable. The campus shuttle is available to long-term visitors with a Brown ID card. The Rhode Island Public Transporation Authority (RIPTA) also has a bus system that runs from downtown Providence through the Brown campus, and beyond.
There are two stairway exits on both the 10th and 11th floors. On both floors you can find an exit to the left of the men's restroom (southeast side). The other exits are accessed on the southwest side of the building via the administrative suite on the 11th floor, and opposite the printer room on the 10th floor. Follow the lit EXIT signs. DO NOT use the elevator in the event of a fire.
Please exit the building only if the fire alarm horns and strobes are activated on the floor you are on, or if you are instructed to do so through commands given over the emergency communication system. In the event of an evacuation, please assemble in the park on the north side of the building.
Additional safety information can be found on the Department of Public Safety website: