The purpose of this workshop is to bring together experts in representation theory, categorification, low-dimensional topology, mathematical physics, and combinatorics, in other to understand how categorifications of the braid groups and Hecke algebras allow one to compute and understand link invariants. Our concrete goals are to:
(a) develop and compare various algebro-geometric models for link homology, and use them to explicitly compute Khovanov-Rozansky homology of various links
(b) categorify various structures in the Hecke algebra (center, cocenter, Kazhdan-Lusztig cells, Jones-Wenzl projectors) using Soergel bimodules
(c) compare the geometric and algebraic constructions above, and understand the connection between the (co)center of the Soergel category and the Hilbert scheme of points on the plane
This workshop is fully funded by a Simons Foundation Targeted Grant to Institutes.
Confirmed Speakers & Participants
- Poster Presenter
Stony Brook University
University of Oregon
University of Minnesota
Mee Seong Im
United States Military Academy
Christine Ruey Shan Lee
University of South Alabama
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Jose Simental Rodriguez
University of California, Davis
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
University of Colorado Boulder
University of Georgia
Friday, February 28, 2020
Saturday, February 29, 2020
Sunday, March 1, 2020
ICERM welcomes applications from faculty, postdocs, graduate students, industry scientists, and other researchers who wish to participate. Some funding may be available for travel and lodging. Graduate students who apply must have their advisor submit a statement of support in order to be considered.
Your Visit to ICERM
- ICERM Facilities
- ICERM is located on the 10th & 11th floors of 121 South Main Street in Providence, Rhode Island. ICERM's business hours are 8:30am - 5:00pm during this event. See our facilities page for more info about ICERM and Brown's available facilities.
- Traveling to ICERM
- ICERM is located at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. Providence's T.F. Green Airport (15 minutes south) and Boston's Logan Airport (1 hour north) are the closest airports. Providence is also on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor. In-depth directions and transportation information are available on our travel page.
- ICERM's special rate will soon be made available via this page for our preferred hotel, the Hampton Inn & Suites Providence Downtown. ICERM also regularly works with the Graduate Hotel and Hilton Garden Inn who both have discounted rates available. Contact email@example.com before booking anything.
The only way ICERM participants should book a room is through the hotel reservation links located on this page or through links emailed to them from an ICERM email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). ICERM never works with any conference booking vendors and never collects credit card information.
- Those traveling with family who are interested in information about childcare and/or schools should contact email@example.com.
- Technology Resources
- Wireless internet access ("Brown-Guest") and wireless printing is available for all ICERM visitors. Eduroam is available for members of participating institutions. Thin clients in all offices and common areas provide open access to a web browser, SSH terminal, and printing capability. See our Technology Resources page for setup instructions and to learn about all available technology.
- Discrimination and Harassment Policy
- ICERM is committed to creating a safe, professional, and welcoming environment that benefits from the diversity and experiences of all its participants. Both the Brown University "Code of Conduct" and the "Discrimination and Workplace Harassment Policy" apply to all ICERM participants and staff. Participants with concerns or requests for assistance on a discrimination or harassment issue should contact the ICERM Director or Assistant Director; they are the responsible employees at ICERM under this policy.
- Exploring Providence
- Providence's world-renowned culinary scene provides ample options for lunch and dinner. Neighborhoods near campus, including College Hill Historic District, have many local attractions. Check out the map on our Explore Providence page to see what's near ICERM.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Eligible to be reimbursed
- B-1 or Visa Waiver Business (WB)
- Ineligible to be reimbursed
- B-2 or Visa Waiver Tourist (WT)
- Already in the US?
F-1 and J-1 not sponsored by ICERM: need to obtain a letter approving reimbursement from the International Office of your home institution PRIOR to travel.
H-1B holders do not need letter of approval.
All other visas: alert ICERM staff immediately about your situation.
ICERM does not reimburse visa fees. This chart is to inform visitors whether the visa they enter the US on allows them to receive reimbursement for the items outlined in their invitation letter.
- Acceptable Costs
- 1 roundtrip between your home institute and ICERM
- Flights in economy class to either Providence airport (PVD) or Boston airport (BOS)
- Ground Transportation to and from airports and ICERM.
- Unacceptable Costs
- Seats in economy plus, business class, or first class
- Change ticket fees of any kind
- Multi-use bus passes
- Meals or incidentals
- Advance Approval Required
- Personal car travel to ICERM from outside New England
- Multiple-destination plane ticket; does not include layovers to reach ICERM
- Arriving or departing from ICERM more than a day before or day after the program
- Multiple trips to ICERM
- Rental car to/from ICERM
- Arriving or departing from airport other than PVD/BOS or home institution's local airport
- 2 one-way plane tickets to create a roundtrip (often purchased from Expedia, Orbitz, etc.)
- Reimbursement Request Form
Refer to the back of your ID badge for more information. Checklists are available at the front desk.
- Reimbursement Tips
- Scanned original receipts are required for all expenses
- Airfare receipt must show full itinerary and payment
- ICERM does not offer per diem or meal reimbursement
- Allowable mileage is reimbursed at prevailing IRS Business Rate and trip documented via pdf of Google Maps result
- Keep all documentation until you receive your reimbursement!
- Reimbursement Timing
6 - 8 weeks after all documentation is sent to ICERM. All reimbursement requests are reviewed by numerous central offices at Brown who may request additional documentation.
- Reimbursement Deadline
Submissions must be received within 30 days of ICERM departure to avoid applicable taxes. Submissions after thirty days will incur applicable taxes. No submissions are accepted more than six months after the program end.