HKUST-ICERM Visiting Fellow Program (VFP)
The HKUST-ICERM Visiting Fellow Program (VFP) is a program sponsored by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) and HKUST Jockey Club Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) in collaboration with ICERM. It aims to promote interactions and collaborations among researchers in HKUST and the US. Each year the VFP will provide funds to support two US based researchers in the mathematical sciences to spend three weeks to one month in HKUST, visiting the Department of Mathematics and the Institute for Advanced Study (IAS).
Founded in 1991 as the first research university in Hong Kong, HKUST has over 500 faculty members whose research ranges from science to engineering, business and social sciences. With a world class faculty and infrastructure, it is consistently ranked as the top one or two universities in Asia by by the QS World University ranking and others.
The Department of Mathematics is a world class research department with a vibrant culture for intellectual discourse and research collaboration. The IAS is a premier intellectual hub in Asia with the goal to bring together distinguished scholars to collaborate with HKUST faculty on research projects in high-impact areas relevant to the region's socio-economic development.
To be eligible for the HKUST-ICERM VFP program an applicant should have an affiliation in a US university or industry, and should have participated in an ICERM program in the past three years. To apply please send an email to email@example.com containing the following information:
- Your CV;
- Proposed dates and length of your visit;
- Possible collaborator(s) at HKUST, preferably in the Department of Mathematics.
Duties of participants under the VFP include:
- Giving lectures in the form of short courses and tutorials that are suitable for graduate students. The format consists of typically 3 lectures, but it can be flexible;
- Interacting with faculty and students in research, with the goal of sparking substantive research collaborations;
- Exploring opportunities for broader individual and institutional research and educational collaborations.
Deadline for Application: Priorities will be given to applications submitted by
- September 30, 2016: for visits during December 1, 2016 to May 31, 2017;
- March 1, 2017: for visits during June 1 to January 31, 2018.
Support and Housing: Under the HKUST-ICERM VFP, a participating visiting fellow will receive a stipend from HKUST in the amount of HK$15,000/week for up to HK$60,000. On a case by case basis, ICERM may support travel expenses from US to Hong Kong.
HKUST will help with lodging arrangements. Month long visiting fellows will qualify for campus housing (typically a 3-bedroom apartment) for HK$6,000, subject to availability. Lodging arrangements on campus or in nearby hotels can be made for shorter term visiting fellows, usually at a higher rate.
widely known as one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. The city of Hong Kong ranks
among the most dynamic cities in the world, offering hard to beat cuisine and convenience.