This workshop will focus on techniques and structures in real algebraic geometry and optimization, including computational tools for semi-algebraic sets, semidefinite programming techniques for polynomial optimization, and applications of these tools to problems in computer vision. Real algebraic geometry provides powerful tools to analyze the behavior of optimization problems, the geometry of feasible sets, and to develop new relaxations for hard non-convex problems. On the other hand, numerical solvers for semidefinite programs have led to new fast algorithms in real algebraic geometry. Algebraic methods over the real numbers are essential for many real-world applications. This workshop aims to explore the cutting edge of techniques in real algebraic geometry and convex optimization as well as applications of these tools to problems in computer vision and other information sciences.
Confirmed Speakers & Participants
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
University of Konstanz
Timo de Wolff
Technical University Berlin
Czech Technical University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Washington
University of Chicago
Mohab SAFEY EL DIN
University of California Davis
University of Washington
University of Waterloo
Universidad de Los Andes
North Carolina State
ICERM welcomes applications from faculty, postdocs, graduate students, industry scientists, and other researchers who wish to participate in the topical workshops. Some funding may be available for travel and lodging. Graduate students who apply must have their advisor submit a statement of support in order to be considered.
Your Visit to ICERM
- ICERM Facilities
- ICERM is located on the 10th & 11th floors of 121 South Main Street in Providence, Rhode Island. ICERM's business hours are 8:30am - 5:00pm during this event. See our facilities page for more info about ICERM and Brown's available facilities.
- Traveling to ICERM
- ICERM is located at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. Providence's T.F. Green Airport (15 minutes south) and Boston's Logan Airport (1 hour north) are the closest airports. Providence is also on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor. In-depth directions and transportation information are available on our travel page.
- To secure our special ICERM rate at the Hampton Inn & Suites Providence Downtown, use this link. ICERM regularly works with two additional area hotels for short visits. The Providence Biltmore and Hilton Garden Inn both have discounted rates available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org before booking outside of the preferred rate or if you would like to book alternate accommodations.
The only way ICERM participants should book a room is through the hotel reservation links located on this page or through links emailed to them from an ICERM email address (email@example.com). ICERM never works with any conference booking vendors and never collects credit card information.
- Those traveling with family who are interested in information about childcare and/or schools should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Technology Resources
- Wireless internet access ("Brown-Guest") and wireless printing is available for all ICERM visitors. Eduroam is available for members of participating institutions. Thin clients in all offices and common areas provide open access to a web browser, SSH terminal, and printing capability. See our Technology Resources page for setup instructions and to learn about all available technology.
- Discrimination and Harassment Policy
- ICERM is committed to creating a safe, professional, and welcoming environment that benefits from the diversity and experiences of all its participants. The Brown University "Discrimination and Workplace Harassment Policy" applies to all ICERM participants and staff. Participants with concerns or requests for assistance on a discrimination or harassment issue should contact the ICERM Director, who is the responsible employee at ICERM under this policy.
- Exploring Providence
- Providence's world-renowned culinary scene provides ample options for lunch and dinner. Neighborhoods near campus, including College Hill Historic District, have many local attractions. Check out the map on our Explore Providence page to see what's near ICERM.
Contact email@example.com for assistance.
- B-1 or Visa Waiver Business (WB)
- Not Reimbursable
- B-2 or Visa Waiver Tourist (WT)
- Already in the US?
F-1 and J-1 not sponsored by ICERM: need to obtain a letter approving reimbursement from the International Office of your home institution PRIOR to travel.
H-1B holders do not need letter of approval.
All other visas: alert ICERM staff immediately about your situation.
- Acceptable Costs
- 1 roundtrip between your home institute and ICERM
- Flights on U.S. or E.U. airlines – economy class to either Providence airport (PVD) or Boston airport (BOS)
- Ground Transportation to and from airports and ICERM.
- Unacceptable Costs
- Flights on non-U.S. or non-E.U. airlines
- Seats in economy plus, business class, or first class
- Change ticket fees of any kind
- Multi-use bus passes
- Meals or incidentals
- Advance Approval Required
- Personal car travel to ICERM from outside New England
- Multiple-destination plane ticket; does not include layovers to reach ICERM
- Arriving or departing from ICERM more than a day before or day after the program
- Multiple trips to ICERM
- Rental car to/from ICERM
- Flights on a Swiss, Japanese, or Australian airlines
- Arriving or departing from airport other than PVD/BOS or home institution's local airport
- 2 one-way plane tickets to create a roundtrip (often purchased from Expedia, Orbitz, etc.)
- Reimbursement Request Form
Refer to the back of your ID badge for more information. Checklists are available at the front desk.
- Reimbursement Tips
- Scanned original receipts are required for all expenses
- Airfare receipt must show full itinerary and payment
- ICERM does not offer per diem or meal reimbursement
- Allowable mileage is reimbursed at prevailing IRS Business Rate and trip documented via pdf of Google Maps result
- Keep all documentation until you receive your reimbursement!
- Reimbursement Timing
6 - 8 weeks after all documentation is sent to ICERM. All reimbursement requests are reviewed by numerous central offices at Brown who may request additional documentation.
- Reimbursement Deadline
Submissions must be received within 30 days of ICERM departure to avoid applicable taxes. Submissions after thirty days will incur applicable taxes. No submissions are accepted more than six months after the program end.