The MAA & TRIPODS Advanced Workshop in Data Science for Mathematical Sciences Faculty is a 4-day hands-on workshop for mathematical sciences faculty who have had some exposure to and experience with data science but who are not themselves data science experts. Participants of the 2017 or 2019 PIC Math Data Science Workshops that were held at BYU qualify and those who have experience coding in Python and applying basic statistical techniques to a large data set. The goal of the workshop is to bring together faculty from a range of institutions and expand the knowledge of the participants so that they are better armed to prepare students for the data science workforce.
Participants will learn more advanced techniques in the fields of data science, statistical learning, and machine learning. They will collaborate on data science projects that will involve accessing and cleaning large data sets and analyzing the data using data science methods. The majority of the technical content of the workshop will be delivered by experts in data science such as Prof. Randy Paffenroth of Worcester Polytechnic Institute and there will also be presentations by data science practitioners from industry.
Please note, this workshop is for mathematical sciences faculty only. ICERM welcomes applications from faculty who wish to participate. Some funding may be available for travel and lodging.
Confirmed Speakers & Participants
- Poster Presenter
- Virtual Attendee
- ORCID iD
- As this program is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), ICERM is required to collect your ORCID iD if you are receiving funding to attend this program. Be sure to add your ORCID iD to your Cube profile as soon as possible to avoid delaying your reimbursement.
- Acceptable Costs
- 1 roundtrip between your home institute and ICERM
- Flights on U.S. or E.U. airlines – economy class to either Providence airport (PVD) or Boston airport (BOS)
- Ground Transportation to and from airports and ICERM.
- Unacceptable Costs
- Flights on non-U.S. or non-E.U. airlines
- Flights on U.K. airlines
- Seats in economy plus, business class, or first class
- Change ticket fees of any kind
- Multi-use bus passes
- Meals or incidentals
- Advance Approval Required
- Personal car travel to ICERM from outside New England
- Multiple-destination plane ticket; does not include layovers to reach ICERM
- Arriving or departing from ICERM more than a day before or day after the program
- Multiple trips to ICERM
- Rental car to/from ICERM
- Flights on a Swiss, Japanese, or Australian airlines
- Arriving or departing from airport other than PVD/BOS or home institution's local airport
- 2 one-way plane tickets to create a roundtrip (often purchased from Expedia, Orbitz, etc.)
- Reimbursement Request Form
Refer to the back of your ID badge for more information. Checklists are available at the front desk.
- Reimbursement Tips
- Scanned original receipts are required for all expenses
- Airfare receipt must show full itinerary and payment
- ICERM does not offer per diem or meal reimbursement
- Allowable mileage is reimbursed at prevailing IRS Business Rate and trip documented via pdf of Google Maps result
- Keep all documentation until you receive your reimbursement!
- Reimbursement Timing
6 - 8 weeks after all documentation is sent to ICERM. All reimbursement requests are reviewed by numerous central offices at Brown who may request additional documentation.
- Reimbursement Deadline
Submissions must be received within 30 days of ICERM departure to avoid applicable taxes. Submissions after thirty days will incur applicable taxes. No submissions are accepted more than six months after the program end.