Galois groups encode the internal structure of field extensions. Less well-known is that (families) of systems of polynomial equations or geometric problems also have Galois groups that encode the internal structure of the equations or geometric problems. During the 2018 Fall program at the ICERM on Nonlinear Algebra, different groups of researchers who were studying or using Galois groups in their work became more aware of their related interests. This common thread connects recent work in enumerative geometry, statistics, computer vision, number theory, and numerical nonlinear algebra. Further connections have subsequently been realized to arithmetic enhancements of intersection theory and to random real algebraic geometry. This workshop will bring representatives of these research groups together to deepen these interactions and chart new research goals.
This workshop is fully funded by a Simons Foundation Targeted Grant to Institutes.
Confirmed Speakers & Participants
- Poster Presenter
- Virtual Attendee
Technische Universität Berlin
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Washington
ICERM welcomes applications from faculty, postdocs, graduate students, industry scientists, and other researchers who wish to participate. Please fill out the application form to register for the event.
Applications are not currently open. Please check back at a later date.
- Acceptable Costs
- 1 roundtrip between your home institute and ICERM
- Flights in economy class to either Providence airport (PVD) or Boston airport (BOS)
- Ground Transportation to and from airports and ICERM.
- Unacceptable Costs
- Seats in economy plus, business class, or first class
- Change ticket fees of any kind
- Multi-use bus passes
- Meals or incidentals
- Advance Approval Required
- Personal car travel to ICERM from outside New England
- Multiple-destination plane ticket; does not include layovers to reach ICERM
- Arriving or departing from ICERM more than a day before or day after the program
- Multiple trips to ICERM
- Rental car to/from ICERM
- Arriving or departing from airport other than PVD/BOS or home institution's local airport
- 2 one-way plane tickets to create a roundtrip (often purchased from Expedia, Orbitz, etc.)
- Reimbursement Request Form
Refer to the back of your ID badge for more information. Checklists are available at the front desk.
- Reimbursement Tips
- Scanned original receipts are required for all expenses
- Airfare receipt must show full itinerary and payment
- ICERM does not offer per diem or meal reimbursement
- Allowable mileage is reimbursed at prevailing IRS Business Rate and trip documented via pdf of Google Maps result
- Keep all documentation until you receive your reimbursement!
- Reimbursement Timing
6 - 8 weeks after all documentation is sent to ICERM. All reimbursement requests are reviewed by numerous central offices at Brown who may request additional documentation.
- Reimbursement Deadline
Submissions must be received within 30 days of ICERM departure to avoid applicable taxes. Submissions after thirty days will incur applicable taxes. No submissions are accepted more than six months after the program end.